Monday, June 11, 2012

I was at someone's birthday held in a school. The funny thing was my friends were all present at my relative's party. Shortbread, Wafer and our high school friend, Snickerdoodle, chose seats in a classroom that looked much like the nursery classroom in our high school. We were all in poofy prom dresses and I sat beside Wafer and Snickerdoodle, while Shortbread sat to Wafer's left. There was a television screen at the corner of the room so we could see everything going on in the gymnasium- where the event was held. The part I remember distinctly was when it was cake time. I had left with someone to visit another room- I think I was with Snickerdoodle. We saw on the television in the foyer that it was time to cut the cake. We rushed into the gym and sang the end of "happy birthday" before lining up in one line to get cake. We made our way back to the nursery room and took our seats, and I admired the three slices of coloured cake in my plate. One was green cake with a green fondant cover on it, another was black with black fondant, and the last was red in the same format as the last two slices. Snickerdoodle looked at my black slice and asked where did I get that one, so I gave each cake a name, and started believing they were meant to be made in those exact colours. I told her where I got the 'Raven' cake. Shortbread and Wafer took their seats and they had different cake colours from ours: blue (which I called 'Cyborg'), and purple with a brick pattern on it. I asked what kind of cake was that one, and Wafer said it was the Winnie the Pooh cake. I told her I did not see it and got up. I asked everyone to watch my plate so no one takes it and I ran to get the other cakes.

The line for cake was gone, but it was now time for people to get their cakes by themselves. As I began scooping the blue cake onto my plate, a lady from my culture came to me and asked me if I figured out what I wanted to become career-wise. I didn't recognize her as I've met many people in my family once and never see them again and I'm expected to remember who they are with any interactions. I gave her the truth, that I still don't know. When she asked if the Waterloo career help helped me at all, I said 'no' and she gave me a dirty look- the type that says 'you'll never be anything to anyone' or 'you're not trying hard enough'. I continued my cake collecting when she left me and found an orange cake with purple fondant ('Starfire'). I was now sure these cakes were made in relation to the Teen Titans show by DC from Cartoon Network. I also picked up the Pooh cake that Wafer had. When I got a spoon at the end, I noticed the cakes in my plate all melted as if they were ice cream. They were a milky colour instead of the blue or purples I had, and was strange since there were no ice cream content in the cake.

I made it back to my seat to find all my friend's gone and people cleaning up. My first cake plate of red ('Robin'), green ('Beast Boy') and black were gone too. I felt lightly betrayed as I checked my phone for the time. It was almost ten o'clock at night and understood they all had to go. I thought maybe I could get a ride with Cookie, but I realized he didn't come. Maybe they thought I would get a ride with him. I stood stupidly at the door with the thumb holding the plate in the melted cake and a metal teaspoon in my hand and in a poofy dress, trying to push aside my feelings and figure out a way home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates