Friday, September 16, 2011

Shortbread and I arrived at London, England at night and the first place we wanted to check out was a doughnut shop. We took the subway and got off, bantering like children and pretending to be locals with terrible accents, but soon found ourselves mixed into a group of noisy, obnoxious teenage locals. They were heading in the same direction as we were, so we followed them. Somewhere along the way, Shortbread and I were separated, but so was a girl from the group. We passed a small but fancy restaurant at the corner of a road with a dalek (from Doctor Who) almost hidden by the row of bushes adjacent to the restaurant. This dalek had working lasers and was a wonderful cosplay (if it was a cosplay at all), constantly the centre of two families' photographs as their children stood beside the 'pepper pot reject'. The girl noticed the dark sky ready for rain and blue lightning which attempted to reach the ground, though in strange patterns unlikely normal. We ran inside the closest building- the restaurant- for cover, but that's when things became a little crazy. Our world was picked off its axis and transported on another planet twice its size, murky purple in colour, and barren. It landed with a crash on the surface of the giant. When I could focus again, I ran into a worried Toshiko Sato (from Torchwood) and asked her if she knew what was going on, hoping her Torchwood background could give me some light in this situation, but she was distracted with the disappearance of the boyfriend she was having dinner with. In a quick moment, the front door burst open and in the door frame stood an Asian man with barely any facial hair and wearing the exact clothes and hat as the taxi driver from the first episode of BBC's Sherlock. Keeping eye contact with Toshiko and seeing the joy in her face, he said, "come with me" and together they ran out the door into the pitch black darkness.

 After that scene from a romantic novel, I realized I had to use the washroom. Badly. And without me noticing, the restaurant became the dining room of a cruise ship. I opened the door to the barely lit, unisex washroom that was and slate-tiled from the floors to the ceiling. There were three toilets in the centre of the washroom and without dividers or stalls- one as a female urinal (the versions found in Asia, which are built into the floor and require squatting; closely resembling [this]), the next was a toilet without the septic tank and had a elongated bowl, and the third was a regular toilet without the septic tank, though none of these had seats. There was a girl in her twenties bawling her eyes out and sitting on the toilet nearest to the door (the regular toilet). I apologized and began to close the door, but I decided not to ignore her sadness and asked if she was alright. I can't remember how the short conversation went, but she finally said she felt like throwing up. She started gagging, which I told her I similarly did the same when I was under much stress and tears. She told me off, so I went to the hallway, where employees often pass, to wait until it was my turn. Studying the posters and clippings on the walls and the boxes crowding the dirty hall, I searched for a way to get out of this crazy mess.

The girl from the washroom appeared and apologized to me as she slipped her hand into a box and pulled out a handful of flesh-coloured eye masks, shiny and maybe made of silicone with the eyes cut out and an area molded and shaped for the nose to fit. We heard chanting coming from the opened, steel door beside us. We crept behind the door and looked through the peep window in the door, seeing many men and women, hooded in black cloaks and wearing the flesh masks. We left the area and return to the washroom, 'cause I needed to urinate terribly. The girl offered to come into the privacy-lacking washroom with me, because if anyone or anything heard us speaking about what we just saw (or conspiring on our escape), we may find ourselves in unwanted trouble. The washroom was in a terrible condition from when I first saw it. There was candy corn coloured vomit covering the floors and in each of the toilets, but between dirty shoes and a bursting bladder, I chose to relieve the latter. At first I was going to choose the middle toilet with the elongated bowl, but I ended up choosing the regular, rounded bowl. I couldn't really relieve myself in this mess. As I did my business, we spoke about why we were put here, and what would they want with a cruise ship. We also wondered whether we'd be fed to sustain a monster or a machine, or whether we'd become one of those masks. We ended up talking about a man.. or a teen.. who possibly could get us out of this situation and revert earth to its former position. I've never seen or spoken to him, but we've both heard he was depressed and we didn't know what he wanted. We needed to find him fast, get him out of his misery and hope he'd save everyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates