Tuesday, June 20, 2023

20230620 Somewhere in the countryside with a small group of strangers, Cookie's sister's family, and Spritz, we were led into a cave that went underground. There were zombies around that periodically came out of the many cavern paths, and we lost many of our group to them.


I remember crawling in the dirt, in a narrow passage, with a lantern in my hand. Everyone with us had one that they held as high as they possibly could with the low ceiling and away from the dirt to avoid extinguishing the flame in them. Spritz was with us. We were being led to the safety room underground and we had to take care our lanterns didn't ignite the grasses and gasses surrounding us, or we'd explode.

I remember a scene vividly. I heard music and I wandered into a room with mud walls. I found Spritz listening to an old record player - a phonograph. When he saw me, I told him I liked his music - rock - and he said I could pick a record to play. I flipped through his collection and chose one with a blue cover, like an image underwater. He put it on, and as it played, I felt relief from the tenseness of being underground and being surrounded by zombies. Spritz put an arm around my shoulder, and I gingerly put one around his waist. I felt touch-starved and so did he. When Cookie came looking for me, we let go, pretending nothing happened. The song had the softness of Lifehouse's “I Wish You Were Here.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates