Wednesday, February 7, 2024

20240207 I called up Shortbread and we met at a new cake cafe around Yorkdale Mall. Lining the walls and floor-to-ceiling windows were woven baskets filled with golden and chocolate-brown cakes and cupcakes. Scattered around the room, in multiple small groups, were sofas, armchairs, and compact cafe sets of tables and chairs. I stopped at the cashier, ordering a cupcake, without icing. Paying for it, and after I was given it on a plate, I sat down at an armchair arrangement. Shortbread ordered a latte and sat across from me.


As we talked, I finished my cupcake and wanted another. There were several in a clear display case on the wall, so I took one back to my seat. After I'd finished it, I wanted something more. Near the entrance was a basket of un-iced cakes. I took one back, and when I finished that one, I took another.

Sooner than I noticed, the sky outside was navy, and Cookie arrived to pick us up. The cafe was also closing. People lined up at the cashier to pay for their consumptions. When it was my turn, I told the cashier I'd eated a cupcake and two cakes. She was confused, so I said, “the big ones.”

Her face was shocked, as she asked me where did I get them. I repeated, “the big ones.” She excused herself and talked to her manager. I felt I messed up.

 On my phone, I navigated to the cafe's website, looking for the cakes I'd eated. They were small cakes, each $24.00 CAD. The big cakes were $63.00. I looked at Cookie and told him that I hope they charge me for the small cakes, not $63 each.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates